By decentralising various public services being provided by Surat Municipal Corporation, a Zonal systems has been Implemented. The whole Surat city has been divided into 7 zones. The scope of every zone is mentioned below in brief:
- Scavenging entire area that falls under the zone.
- To clean choked, gully-trap and sewer traps.
- Food inspection branch.
- License permit for food.
- Vaccination, birth/death registration, family planning.
- Market department to remove the nuisance of stray animals¬—malaria control.
Assessment and Recovery Department
- Assessment of properties.
- Recovery of property tax, education tax, etc.
- Appeals regarding assessment and rent recovery of corporation's various properties etc.
- Registration of shop/firm’s renewal and court complaints regarding breach of law.
- To build new roads up to 60 feet width, to widen the roads, repairs & re-carpeting of roads etc.
- To build roads up to 80 feet width and their repair work.
- To build society road by raising public funds - to prepare new footpath, to repair them, scraping etc.
- To build new buildings and to maintain the Municipal Properties.
- To build and maintain school buildings.
- To sanction and provide water supply 1/2" domestic and 1" industrial connection.
- Repair work of main water pipelines up to 22".
- Legal procedures for illegal connections, repair of contaminated water connections.
- Issuing permits regarding water stand posts, free water connection hand pump, drainage connections.
- Issuing permits for layout of low rise buildings procedure against illegal construction.
- Legal procedures against illegal drainage connections & illegal construction.
- To construct and maintain (box drain) rain water drain.
- Disposal of rain water through additional catch pits/inlet chambers.
- To maintain and clean temporary/permanent drainage.
- Implementation of town planning scheme-recovery of betterment charges.
- To take actions against public nuisance and damaged property.
- Issuing permits for mandap, banner, hoarding-collection of land-rent, property rent.
- To remove permanent/temporary encroachments, to make alternative arrangement for obstructing slums.
- Sprinkling of pesticides.
- Collection, transportation, and final disposal of solid waste.
- Disposal of carcasses of animals.
- License renewal of non-edible things (matches, kerosene, coal, fireworks etc.) and edible things.
- Issue license for eatables and non-eatable items under the BPMC Act,1949.
- To clean choked gully-trap.
- Cleaning of drip well.
- Chlorination of the well in use and chlorine test of water samples.
- Legal actions against citizens who are creating nuisance.
- Inspection of hotels, hawkers, and small shopkeeper with a hygienic point of view.
- Cleaning of public urinals.
- Inspection of cinema halls, theatres, and other public entertainment places from hygiene point of view.
- To avail basic details of the epidemic, immediately inform higher authority regarding disease control measures.